The Application Process
Are you ready to start your career journey with us? You can search and apply now for current opportunities.
Our selection process overview and application tips will help you understand what to expect throughout the recruitment process and enable you to submit your best application.
All applications require:
- Completed application form
- Current curriculum vitae (CV)
- Proof of Accreditation (for Teaching positions)
Applications will be reviewed following the closing date for the position and those that best meet the essential criteria and position requirements will be shortlisted for interview
If your application is not shortlisted for interview, we will send you an email advising that you have not been successful.
Shortlisting is typically completed within two weeks of the application closing date, however this may take longer in some instances.
What we look for!
It should be clear from your CV and supporting documentation how your skills and experience are relevant to the role you are applying for. We look for applicants who can demonstrate that they not only have the capability to perform the role, but who can be a positive contributor to our vision and mission.
Be sure to read the job advertisement and position description thoroughly to ensure you are clear on what the position requirements are and what is required for your application to be considered.
Be mindful of any word/page limits for covering letters or other specific application instructions as different positions may have different application requirements.
Your application may not be considered if it is incomplete or does not follow the specified instructions for submission.
Regardless of the position you are applying for, be sure to keep your application relevant, concise, and professional!
If your application is shortlisted, you will be contacted by a member of our People and Culture team and invited to attend an interview.
A selection panel will typically include:
- The manager of the position
- A member of the Executive Team
- People and Culture representative
For some senior leadership or specialist positions, a subject matter expert external to the College may join the panel.
Some positions may require additional assessments as part of the interview process such as second/informal interviews, delivering a presentation or completing a practical assessment or aptitude test. If additional assessments are required, this will typically be included in position application instructions, or candidates will be advised upon invitation to attend an interview.
We are committed to equal opportunity and ensuring a fair and respectful interview process. We do our best to ensure you are well informed and clear on expectations at all stages of the process. As a proud College of Good Samaritan Education (GSE), St Mary Star of the Sea is committed to Good Samaritan Education’s Statement on the Voice and Experience of Women in Leadership.
What we Look for!
Interviews are an opportunity to find out more about you, your skills and experience to determine your suitability for the position you have applied for. It is also an opportunity for you to learn more about the role and the College, for you to determine if the opportunity is right for you, considering your own personal goals and aspirations.
You are encouraged to be yourself, ask questions and be open and honest.
Pre Employment Checks
As part of the selection process reference checks will be completed before an offer of employment is made. You are required to provide details of at least two referees in the application form.
All positions at the College require a Working with Children Check (WWCC).
Some positions may require additional pre-employment checks such as a criminal history record check or medical assessment.
All checks will be conducted in accordance with current legislation.
Notification of Outcome
Once the successful applicant has been decided, we will contact the successful applicant with an offer of employment.
We will then notify all candidates who were interviewed to inform them of the outcome of their application.
Depending on the position, it may take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks after interviews and assessments to confirm and notify everyone of the outcome.
Position Status: Casual
Commencement: Casual, as required
Applications Close: Open
Applications can be submitted at any time for casual teaching opportunities.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE WORKING WITH US!
- Highly supportive and collaborative team environment
- A sense of belonging with a strong focus on community
- Strong commitment to personal growth and development with exceptional professional development opportunities for teachers at all stages of their career
- Creating genuine impact and making a difference to our inspiring and dedicated students
The Teacher provides a contemporary education to students in accordance with the appropriate syllabus and the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers. This includes the planning, preparation and teaching of programs to achieve specific student outcomes.
- Recognised teaching qualification, approved for teaching secondary school (Stages 4-6) with NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Accreditation
- Valid Working with Children Check (WWCC)
- Strong knowledge of the NSW curriculum
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the holistic approach to education which challenges the creativity, initiative and ability of each student.
- Demonstrated outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, critical analysis and problemsolving skills with the ability to work collaboratively and respectfully in a team environment.
- Experience with demonstrated high standard of competency and proficiency as a classroom teacher, with the ability to structure lessons that meet the individual physical, social and intellectual development needs of students.
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission and purpose of an all-girl Catholic College embracing the Good Samaritan and Benedictine tradition.
- Strong digital literacy with the ability and willingness to engage with a variety of technologies.
Complete the online employment application form and attach:
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- 1 page covering letter addressing the essential requirements
- Copies of qualifications and proof of accreditation
St Mary Star of the Sea College educates young women to love life, lead, achieve and care for their world. Our College motto is “I am born for higher things”.
St Mary Star of the Sea College is a leader in all girls contemporary education in a safe, inclusive and globally aware environment. Our students love their school and they are able to thrive and be challenged to achieve their very best whilst all the while impelled to seek justice, peace, equity and ecological conversion.
The Benedictine values of love of God, love of learning, hospitality, stewardship and peace are embedded in the life of the College every day and inform our distinctive, faith-filled, optimistic and contemporary educational mission.
Achieving, Leading, Nurturing Culture & Place
More than just a school!
Being a part of the St Mary Star the Sea College community means having the opportunity to make a difference! When you join us you will immediately feel a sense of belonging. We are immensely proud of our College community that has been built and nurtured over the past 150 years.
Our staff are proud of the work that they do and are actively involved in all aspects of College life and the lives of our girls.
We invest heavily and continuously in technology to support the work of our staff and students to enable their educational and social emotional development in a safe and informed environment. We engage a range of learning platforms and technological solutions that effectively support the innovation and diversity of our teachers work with their students
We are a proud College of Good Samaritan Education and we cherish the richness and wisdom of our Benedictine spirituality and Good Samaritan charism. We are a member College of Catholic Schools NSW (CSNSW) and the NSW Association of Independent Schools (AIS) and as such, benefit from the collective professional development and learning opportunities accessible through both professional associations. NSW Catholic Employment Relations (CER) provides support for enterprise and employment relations, and we are fortunate to have well established collegial and community connections with the Wollongong Catholic Education Office, as well as Edmund Rice College.
Catholic schools are relational places that commit themselves to a vision of education based on partnership and Christian community, that facilitate a vigorous, energetic collaborative environment.
Join our inclusive community at St Mary Star of the Sea where each person is encouraged to bring their authentic selves to community every day and to strive to be the best version of themselves.
Choose to make a difference.
Benefits and support
- Meaningful work with opportunities to be involved in exciting College community events
- Stunning work location and staff facilities
- Staff social club
- Discounted staff fitness program
- Generous leave provisions
- Personal development opportunities
Catholic schools exist in a changing, complex, and interdependent world where they are challenged to move beyond traditional responses for education and to engage with new knowledge and practise in innovative and creative ways.
At St Mary Star of the Sea we strive to meet and deliver on the challenge of providing an extensive and diverse curriculum that simultaneously challenges our students to be counter cultural in the expression of their values in relationship with others. Our colleagues are dynamic, driven and empowered to unleash their full potential to enable our girls to be and to achieve the best that they can be.
We nurture our colleagues to grow and thrive through a number of development programs and experiential learning opportunities including:
- Interactive, enjoyable and stimulating professional development days.
- The development of collaborative learning teams.
- Access to extensive range of educational development programs and online courses.
- Internal mentoring and coaching opportunities.
- Access to customized educational leadership programs through our network partners.
- Sponsored study for further education.
For any general queries regarding the application process or vacancies at St Mary Star of the Sea College, contact our People and Culture team:
Ph: 02 4228 6011